Friday, April 12, 2013

A Personal Update


To the people on my Bird List and my additional Facebook friends, 
I would like to give a personal update.

On a recent vacation/birding trip with my wife, Linda, to the state of South Carolina, USA, I suffered an incident concerning my health.  It was not an official heart attack, where parts of one's heart actually dies, rather it was clear, advanced warning of what would happen if I did not address the problem immediately. 


I had an 85-95% blockage of the blood the heart muscle needs to function as a pump. Without sufficient blood to the heart muscle  it simply stops working. Due to the blockage, I had a triple bypass.

I was extremely lucky to be near quality health care personnel when I noticed the problem.  Their encouragement to have my heart further checked out saved my life.  I will always be indebted to them. 

This blog is about birds and my encounters with them.  I'd rather not get too far afield of that outline. If you would like to know more, feel free to contact me by responding to any bird story or Facebook post.

Thank you,
Allan 

5 comments:

  1. We're all glad you were so close to such good medical care. Keep your chin up. We look forward to seeing more bird pictures soon. Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our thoughts and prayers are with you Allen. Thanks for letting us know.

    David and Shirley Walker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update Allen. Must have been a little scary to be in health crisis far from home but sounds like you picked a good place. So happy all is working out well and you got the care you needed.
    Pam Layton

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were certainly surprised to hear of your health problems, but so happy to know you have received medical care. We have always thought of you as the picture of health and have admired you for all your physical activity. Sometimes life gives us surprises. We will keep you in our prayers. Al and Charlene Dobberfuhl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Looking forward to more bird posts. John

    ReplyDelete