Monday, December 4, 2017

Verdin




This flighty little Verdin often visits our backyard, mostly when I'm not present.

He is a welcome visitor though, but he's oh so skittish.


If I'm around when he stops in, I suspect he suspects that he isn't quite alone and this makes him nervous.

I must remain motionless.

A fixed stare in my direction leads me to believe I've been spotted.











Aware of the slightest movements, he's poised to flee should the need be.

The tiny desert dwelling Verdin is about the size of a chickadee or warbler.





According to the 2014 State of the Birds Report, the Verdin is a Common Bird in Steep Decline, mostly due to habitat loss.

(Click any picture to enlarge.)


Being wary is a good trait that has served him well up to this point.

Allan

Credits: Cornell Lab of Ornithology, All About Birds
2014 State of the Birds Report

No comments:

Post a Comment